Ramadan 2019: Charcuterie Iftaar Party


So here is a peek into one of my iftaar’s during the month of Ramadan. I have always wanted to build a Charcuterie board. What better time than Ramadan?






So let’s start from the beginning. Charcuterie (pronounced "shahr-ku-tuh-ree") is the art of preparing and assembling cured meats and other meat products. But, many people use the term charcuterie to refer to an assortment of meats that are paired with different accompaniments, such as toast, fruit, cheese, and sauces are of which in some form or fashion form a part of a traditional iftar menu.

Presentation is everything when serving a charcuterie. Generally wood serving boards are  the most common choice because it gives the charcuterie board a beautiful rustic look. However slate servingware is an excellent option. 








So here’s how I assembled mine.

 I used two faux slate platters and two wall tiles. I just couldn’t find a board that would work well with a sit down dastarkhwaan. Plus I need it to be long so that all guests sitting on both sides of the dastarkhwaan would have access to the board.




To create the rustic look I first spread out a white table cloth (shhh… its actually an old bedsheet). On it I spread out a burlap. Fairy lights were placed between both layers.

I placed the tiles in the centre and the slate platters on either side. Then to add to the rusticity I tucked spinach, chauli, salad leaves etc. under the platter and tiles. I didn’t want to use flowers or foliage as those could possibly have pesticides. So I ended up using edible leafy vegetables as fillers.







The meu comprised of the following:
  • Mini samosas
  • Mini dabeli
  • Mini chapli kebabs
  • Mini dahi wade
  • Mini chicken sandwiches
  • Mini Russian cutlets
  • Mini banofie pies
  • Mini shahi tukda rolls
  • Stuffed mushrooms
  • Mini pizzas
  • Mini potato bhajias
  • Naan sandwich
  • Fruits
  • Grape Tasbees (prayer beads) MY FAVOURITE













Dinner was Raan Rice and Nihari. The Nihari was very kindly brought by one of our guests and was the star dish of the evening.

What iftar is complete without prayer and return gifts. We all bent our heads in Shukhar and Taqwa, grateful to be able to enjoy great company and the blessings of nutritious food.





My guests were thanked for coming and helping us make beautiful memories with these handmade juzdaan made with velvet and pompoms.




Comments

Popular Posts