How to make DIY costumes on a budget

Kindergarten was never as much fun as it today. I remember playing with dull colored clay that came in 4 basic colors. we had a few toys in kindergarten and a handful of books and one abacus. That'it.

We also had one day in the entire academic year which was a fancy dress and one Christmas party. No theme learning days. No projects. Not many parties.

But these days there are at least 4 theme earning days, myriad parties, fancy dresses etc. It is a fun way to engage and teach the kids. No doubt its a lot of fun for the kids but it is also a lot of work for the parents.

Last year in Zayb's school they were teaching the kids about global cultures, attire and cuisines. The kids were given a country and asked to dress in the national/traditional dress.

When I saw the note I bacame anxious immediately. Her note read 'dress your child in the national/traditional dress of Mexico.

Mexico! oh man! what do I do? I wish she had gotten China or Japan or Russia. Or just about any other countries. Everything seemed easy except Mexico.

I have had an Usool since the beginning. i will not Zayb wear hired costumes. Though sometime my DIY costumes cost as much as hiring a costume I make it a point to make my own. So renting was never an option. I had to think of something.

I slept in stress but woke up at 6 next morning with an Aha feeling. Mexico = Frida Kahlo. My mind immediately starting thinking in this direction and i immediately designed this piece in my mind from my mother in laws old burkha, some left over lace, ribbon from Zayb's 3rd birthday party, floral head banks Zayb already had and one OTT headband that my cousin had given me from her last years fashion show (she is a design student). All the items were from home. All i had to spend on was the tailoring. I gave it to a local lady tailor who charged me only Rs. 200 to create this masterpiece.





I accessorized it with fashion jewelry and a card paper fan to complete the look.

I have realized over the years that it doesn't take much money to make fancy dress costume/ pretend play dresses. It just takes some thinking.

This post is published for #OpenNTalk Blogger’s League hosted by @GleefulBlogger and @WigglingPen in association with SummerbarnVedantika Herbals, NyassaExplore Kids World.


Comments

  1. yaa very nice.. seriously sometimes its a challenge for we parents when such situation collapse...great work done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved her dress pretty doll
    #opentalk
    #bloggingdivas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. That's super creative... I too do not opt for rented costumes.. doing your diy is easy.. just needs some creative juices flowing.. I remember a similar dilema when I had to dress up my younger daughter as a freedom fighter and instead of opting for the more common ones i dressed her up as Mangal Pandey.. She had these perfect curly locks, All I had to do was get a white dhoti made from some fabric that I had, drape a white dupatta around her top and completed the look with one of my long metal chains around her neck and painted on a moustache... was the most fun outfit I did for her.. and she was the only girl dressed up as a male freedom fighter :) #OpenNTalk, #Bloggingdivas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful costume. Loved your creativity. She looks lovely.
    #Bloggingdivas
    #OpenNtalk

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, she is so cute and adorable. Loved this post. #BloggerBabes #OpeNTalk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is a blessing for mothers like me who are always challenged with budgets and time. Thank you for writing this :).
    #RoarWillRock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a very much innovative post dear. you thought so much for your kid, thats the best part of yours for not renting the costume and give the costume your looks. Amazng ..That looks sweet!! #OpenNTalk #BloggerBabes

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful the dress is !! Totally worth it.

    – Anami from #InvincibleGang for #OpenNTalk #Week3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts